Before we show you how to buy Ethereum, you should know that Ethereum is a technology that lets you send cryptocurrency to anyone for a small fee. It also powers applications that everyone can use and no one can take down. Ethereum builds on Bitcoin’s innovation, with some big differences. Both let you use digital money without payment providers or banks. But Ethereum is programmable, so you can also use it for lots of different digital assets – even Bitcoin! This also means Ethereum is for more than payments. It’s a marketplace of financial services, games and apps that can’t steal your data or censor you.
- Banking for everyone: Not everyone has access to financial services. But all you need to access Ethereum and its lending, borrowing and savings products is an internet connection.
- A more private internet: You don’t need to provide all your personal details to use an Ethereum app. Ethereum is building an economy based on value, not surveillance.
- A peer-to-peer network: Ethereum allows you to move money, or make agreements, directly with someone else. You don’t need to go through intermediary companies.
- Censorship-resistant: No government or company has control over Ethereum. This decentralization makes it nearly impossible for anyone to stop you from receiving payments or using services on Ethereum.
- Commerce guarantees: Ethereum creates a more level playing field. Customers have a secure, built-in guarantee that funds will only change hands if you provide what was agreed. You don’t need large company clout to do business.
- Compatibility for the win: Better products and experiences are being built all the time because Ethereum products are compatible by default. Companies can build on each other’s success.
Ethereum is open access to digital money and data-friendly services for everyone – no matter your background or location. It’s a community-built technology behind the cryptocurrency ether (ETH) and thousands of applications you can use today.