Information sharing is a vital part of achieving our vision. Making sure all the necessary information is available in a clear and concise manner is a cornerstone to a great ecosystem. Our documentation site has been the go-to place for many of you, whether you want to satisfy your curiosity on the inner workings of the Tangle, or you are trying to build something great on top of it.
As time progressed and the community around IOTA grew, the demands for our documentation portal have also increased. As a result, the demand has outgrown what the current documentation can deliver. That’s why we have started work on a brand new documentation portal, built from scratch. Starting on a green field allows us to re-evaluate the tools we need to satisfy your requirements for what great documentation should be.
In addition to making all the relevant information findable, we also want to make learning about IOTA and building on top of our ecosystem a great experience. It doesn’t matter if you’re exploring what IOTA is all about, if you are already an experienced IRI node operator, if you are interested in MAM or one of our client libraries. The new documentation portal will offer all the information you need in one place.
The new documentation will:
- Be quickly and easily searchable, so you find the relevant content right away.
- Allow you to run code examples to improve learning.
- Guide you through the most important scenarios.
- Contain information from across the whole ecosystem.
- Allow you to easily provide feedback and suggest changes.
- Provide versioning for the different parts of the ecosystem.
- Have the same look and feel as the rest of the IOTA ecosystem.
We have dedicated a team within the IF to build this portal. To make the new documentation portal a success, we also need your help. Last week, we’ve already interviewed some of you to gauge your impressions and requirements working with IOTA and the current documentation portal. The responses we’ve received are incredibly useful. Going forward, we would like also like to get your help in the following ways:
- If you have feedback for the current documentation, have specific ideas on mind, or know of content that is missing, please open a new suggestion on our Nolt or vote for existing suggestions.
- If you would like to help us write content, please see our contribution guidelines. We will be creating GitHub issues with the help wanted label as we move forward. If you find something you’d like to lend a hand on, reach out to me on Discord!
- Join the discussion in the new #Documentation channel on the IOTA Discord.